The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles
Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy in The Hague is looking for a FDI Senior Investment Adviser to join its Department for International Trade (DIT) team on a one-year fixed-term contract.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) promotes British trade and investment around the world; helps to build an appetite for British goods and services globally; and works to encourage foreign investment into the UK. DIT also brings together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade & investment and to help businesses to succeed. DIT Netherlands works with both Dutch investors and British companies doing business in The Netherlands across the main business sectors of the economy. For more information about DIT please follow the link.
The main purpose of the role is to assist Dutch companies and financial institutions to invest, or increase their investment, in the United Kingdom through providing tailored advice and support.
The successful candidate will strengthen and reinforce our Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) team in the Netherlands, supporting a Strategic Relationship Management (SRM) approach. The role-holder would form part of the existing FDI team and work in collaboration with colleagues in the UK, ensuring local SRM priorities align with the larger organisational context.
The role holder will build a detailed understanding of an investor’s business and its potential UK plans and then, working with UK colleagues, provides market insight and connectivity to allow the business to enter or grow further in the UK. The successful candidate will be responsible for building close relationships with existing investors, as well as identifying potential investors across a range of sectors.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to promote the UK to one of the most developed trading nations in the world. We are looking for a motivated, commercially driven professional with excellent account management and organisational skills to join our team.
- Delivery: Responsibility for an agreed number of new or additional investments by Dutch companies in the UK through the management of a defined set of existing investors and the development and growth of a pipeline;
- Relationships: Maintaining productive relationships with DIT's relevant sector groups in London HQ and across the UK, together with colleagues across the DIT European Network. Support the delivery of SRM practice outlined by DIT HQ and working in parallel with similar procedures established in other UK government organisations;
- Communication: Build solid rapport with key clients in order to increase their interest in information about UK market solutions, policy and regulatory changes. Develop and organise sector events and campaigns to support meeting the team’s objectives;
- Synergies: Ensure operational alignment with overall DIT SRM Strategy & regional European initiatives and actions where cross border cooperation can maximise opportunities & results for the UK economy. Active and constructive engagement in regional activities to identify best SRM practice and increase synergies for UK promotional activity and impact;
- Personal: Demonstrate personal ambition for DIT’s FDI team including the ability to maximise resource, introduce innovative ideas and enhance capabilities leading to increased performance and effectiveness.
Essentialqualifications, skills andexperience
- Proven project management/SRM credentials;
- Ability to build rapport at all levels internally and externally;
- Strategic thinking;
- Big picture thinking;
- Analytical skills, including effective use of Excel and CRM tools;
- Fluent English (written and spoken)
Desirablequalifications, skills andexperience
- Knowledge of UK strengths at country and regional level;
- Experience with and awareness of the FDI sales cycle.
- Fluent Dutch (written and spoken).
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Engaging Internationally
26 March 2019
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Full-time, Temporary
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (EUR)
20 April 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The successful candidate will initially be offered a 12 month fixed-term contract at B3 level. The base salary for this position is € 3,651,90 gross per month, based on a working week of 36 hours. In addition, an 8% annual holiday bonus and a monthly travel allowance are payable. The Embassy currently applies a performance based bonus pay model for local staff.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in The Netherlands.
The successful candidate will undergo a professional background check; Any job offer is also provisional to a successful security clearance check.
The Embassy encourages a culture of continuous learning. All employees have access to the Civil Service Learning platform which gives access to training to improve job specific skills. Employees are entitled to a minimum number of annual training days.
Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in The Netherlands and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.