Local Unit & Position Description
We are looking for a Team Lead/Principal Consultant in the area of Underground and Submarine Power Cables.
Are you a result-oriented, enthusiastic team player with people management skills and do you have good understanding of the latest developments in power cables, power cables failure mechanisms, international power cable standards and how to ensure / improve reliability of power cable circuits?
Apply now and become our new colleague!
You will become part of the Asset Management (AM) Team. The position is available at our Energy Head Quarters in Arnhem, the Netherlands. The AM Team is a growing team which currently exists of over 40 professionals. The AM Team is working from two offices: the Energy Head Quarters in Arnhem, the Netherlands and Dubai. The AM Team is a mix of PhD, MSc and BSc level with different backgrounds and from various cultures. You will be leading the Power Cable cluster in the Arnhem based AM Team.
The electricity transmission grids are traditionally based on the use of overhead lines. To date, the vast majority of extra high voltage transmission is built as overhead lines. Cables, in contrast, are predominately used in urban areas or areas of great scenic beauty. The underground cabling technology is becoming of increasing importance in view of the grid expansion, reinforcement due to the energy transition happening world-wide. In addition to underground cable, submarine power cables are also crucial in the energy transition. In recent years there has been a significant increase of offshore cable installations due to growth in the offshore wind farm developments and interconnectors. This increase of submarine cable installation comes with challenges, i.e. submarine cable failures pose one of the highest risks in offshore wind as it could easily black out a section or even an entire wind farm.
In the years to come, the electric grid will drastically change.
As a Team Lead/Principal Consultant you will lead the Power Cable cluster of approx. 10 Cable experts. The Power Cable cluster has high ambitions to grow. The other large part of the role will be individual contributor, undertaking consulting work and act as project manager for projects in the cable consulting domain.
The Team Lead/Principal Consultant will support their Head of Department (HoD) with the management and co-ordination of a smaller team (Power Cable cluster) within the Department ensuring all members of the team are optimally utilized, produce high quality technical work and are engaged. To do this, the Team Lead/Principal Consultant will provide technical support, local point of contact for technical staff, training, mentoring and guidance to staff within their team. The Team Lead/Principal Consultant will support the goal setting process with the team members by conducting regular catch-up meetings with the team throughout the year – noting that the HoD will still be overall accountable for the process and may join the start of year goal setting meeting and the end of year review meeting for team members. The Team Lead/Principal Consultant will also take on timecard and expenses approval under delegated authority in order to ensure local oversight and governance. The Team Lead/Principal Consultant will not have any formal P&L responsibility. A key element in executing these duties will be regular co-ordination with other Team Leads, and the Head of Department (HoD). The Team Lead aspects are expected to take up 30-40% of the individuals time depending on the size of the team.
The primary role of an individual in a Team Lead/Principal Consultant position remains that of an individual contributor, undertaking consulting or advisory work at a higher level of competence and experience. Client contact, travel to site visits, meetings, conferences and other off-site events are a normal part of this role.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Plan and resource multiple projects involving your team members (including projects which you will be undertaking) to ensure work is conducted within timescales and to budget;
- Co-ordinate the resourcing of work with other Team Leads and Heads of Department as appropriate;
- Promote, monitor and ensure the teams work meets the required standards and follows best practice guidelines (as delegated by HoD);
- Create a team spirit and good working environment for the team;
- Responsible for managing performance, goal setting process;
- Encourage and ensure that lessons learnt, and latest developments are shared across the team;
- Support the recruitment, training and performance management of staff within the team;
- Provide support, management and technical Leadership to your assigned team, including mentoring and training of staff. This will specifically include:
* Holding regular meetings with individuals to provide feedback on project progress;* Actively support the competence development of individuals;* Provide support, coaching to staff on technical and soft skill issues;
- Where required review/approve proposals and deliverables on projects and act as Project Sponsor (where delegated or agreed with Market Area Managers who are ultimately accountable for projects in their markets);
- Provide support to the HoD in the promotion and presentation of the team/department strategy and plans where appropriate;
- Support Head of Department on AOP development;
- Project execution: Active involvement in advisory projects / third party project in the Power Cable and Submarine Cable domain
We are looking for a Team Lead/Principal Consultant who is a business-oriented leader of people, who will actively contribute to projects and the success of the team.
Required qualifications include:
- Previous experience of operating as a Senior Consultant or higher in the domain of Power Cables;
- Demonstrates a professional approach and is a good role model for junior and medior consultants;
- Ability to juggle and manage conflicting work priorities to ensure deadlines are met. Good prioritisation skills;
- Strong communication and organizational skills (both verbal and written), able to work effectively within a consultancy environment;
- Strong competence in proposal & report writing, ensuring clear and accurate reports are produced in English;
- Ability to handle the complex (technical) problems and be able to guide individuals through the associated issues;
- Demonstrates the potential to lead a team e.g. patience, strong communication skills with the ability to explain information clearly to individuals;
- Is curious, interested and engaged;
- Is flexible to occasional travel
Desirable qualifications include:
- Experience of contributing to industry working groups and related networking activity;
- Experience of presenting at major industry events.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. Operating in more than 100 countries, our professionals are dedicated to helping customers in the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables and other industries to make the world safer, smarter and greener.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!