Spencer Stuart is one of the world’s leading executive search consulting firms. Privately held since 1956, Spencer Stuart applies its extensive knowledge of industries, functions and talent to advise select clients — ranging from major multinationals to emerging companies to nonprofit organizations — and address their leadership requirements. Through 51 offices in 27 countries and a broad range of practice groups, Spencer Stuart consultants focus on senior-level executive search, board director appointments, succession planning and in-depth senior executive management assessments.
The successful search consulting team partners with an organization to select and recruit the “right leader” thus making a positive impact not only on the entire client organization but, in some cases, the industry itself. In addition, a successful search, by definition, leads to a significant career progression for the executive moving to the new position.
Spencer Stuart is organized around industry and functional practices throughout all the major business sectors. With senior consultants bringing direct industry experience and knowledge to its specialty practices, the company is focused on responding to and meeting its clients’ unique recruitment needs.
The Business Development (BD) Analyst Intern is responsible for researching publicly available information on executives, board members, companies and industries to enhance the content of our database. The Intern sits within the EMEA practice group that will prioritize the research. In some cases the BD Analyst will be called upon to help produce industry and/or functional analysis in support of cross-border pan-regional search engagements and/or new business initiatives. This person is an EMEA practice resource interfacing with key team members within the practice as well as all corporate teams. This role is located in the Corporate [EMEA Regional] Amsterdam office.
Reports to: BD Knowledge Partner
Other key relationships: Associates, Senior Associates and Consultants
EMEA BD Analyst
Other BD Analysts
Other BD Managers
- Work closely with the EMEA BD Knowledge Partner and BD Analyst, practice Associates and core practice members to develop research on key executives, companies and industry sectors.
- Provide detailed analysis in support of special projects, candidate pool development and general practice administration, as well as external business development and intellectual capital efforts.
- Through research via the internet and specialized business information databases, populate our proprietary database, QuestNT, with essential data on executives, non-executives and companies as identified and prioritized by the practice.
- Maintain current awareness of news and issues associated with key client engagements and market opportunities for the practice and share that information and knowledge in a timely way with BD knowledge management, consultants and associates.
- Assist in high level name generation and organization chart creation.
- Develop industry and/or functional expertise by maintaining an awareness of industry trends and “best in class” leaders/future leaders.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Strong research skills: Experience with collecting and organizing information from databases and/or internet resources. Ability to analyze and synthesize data into other formats. Familiar with business reference resources such as Factiva, Hoovers or OneSource.
- Computer literate: Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office platform (emphasis on Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications).
- Service industry expertise: Experience working in a consulting environment and/or a role involving significant client service and the management of multiple projects toward tight timelines in an environment where competing demands are the norm.
- Education: Educated to degree level, ideally a business degree.
- Multi-lingual: Fluency in English is mandatory. Fluency or working knowledge in any other language is a strong plus.
- International outlook: Experience of operating in an international network.
Critical Competencies for Success
Analytical Skills – Synthesizes research for knowledge-building initiatives and if relevant, search assignments or intellectual capital initiatives. Provides a succinct and accurate point of view as measured by quality and timeliness of contribution to assignment/project objectives. The successful candidate will do this by:
- Listening and asking insightful questions.
- Leveraging knowledge of an industry/function/sector and appropriate resources to gather relevant information.
- Subjecting researched facts to extensive analysis and interpretation before drawing conclusions.
- Making inferential leaps in thinking to reach a solution despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Making decisions rapidly, despite the complexity of the issues or pressures involved.
- Consistently performs at a high-level of quality and pays close attention to details.
- Possess a strong thought process when dealing with complex research or data issues. Ability to prioritize multiple projects by balancing priorities while producing a consistent volume of quality work.
Project Management – Plans, manages and drives own efforts in support of the practice knowledge agenda as measured by timely completion of project tasks and feedback from project team members. The successful candidate will do this while handling multiple projects with other deadlines while maintain on-going, long term projects. He/she will work with individuals who have differing styles, and can therefore manage challenging expectations by:
- Providing accurate and timely research information about executives, organizations, markets or other relevant sectors.
- Taking ownership of the project by doing what is needed at all phases of the research process, anticipating next steps and not waiting to be told what to do.
- Regularly reassessing priorities to align resources where/when needed and proactively reprioritizing own workload to provide additional support to team where/when needed.
- Delivering on commitments on-time or notifying as early as possible if problems occur or deadlines will slip.
Professional Approach – Contributes to the efficiency and quality of teams in order to successfully meet project objectives as measured by Consultant, Associate and peer feedback while working with individuals who have differing styles by:
- Being authentic.
- Listening and asking questions to clarify understanding and demonstrate knowledge.
- Placing team goals ahead of individual goals.
- Ability to effectively convey ideas, information or instructions in a written or verbal manner. Considering the needs of colleagues and adapting own communication style accordingly.
- Setting expectations and clarifying tasks to avoid wasting time and resources.
- Offering to work outside areas of responsibility when needed.
- Raising issues early and finding solutions collaboratively.
- Remaining poised when under pressure or handling unexpected challenges.
- Proactively sharing information with those who would benefit while being discreet with confidential information.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strong client service orientation and sense of urgency.
- Credibility and maturity – proactive, confident and assertive in manner, as evidenced by the ability to support his or her point with both factual evidence and experience-based opinion. Able to challenge in a non-confrontational manner, push back appropriately and to accept constructive criticism.
- Tenacity – track record of working successfully through situations where events were beyond his or her control by identifying the issues, and developing and executing an action plan.
- Well-developed social skills with a good sense of humor and, as a plus, experience in interacting with different cultures.
- Articulate and well-spoken, strong written and verbal communication skills; strong presentation skills; experience presenting to senior-level audiences.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize among competing demands.
- Strong analytical capability; ability to use data to drive to insight.
- Sound business judgment; ability to identify and implement practical, realistic solutions.
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate team members.
- Team orientation; flexible; willing to change direction based on evolving firm needs; self-motivated.