The Senior Privacy Counsel will be part of the global privacy team to support the continued growth of the organization's global operations. The candidate will work closely with client sales and delivery teams and also with the Corporate Security team, Internal Audit, Human Resources and the Privacy Operations team. This role will involve daily exposure to clients and senior management.
Our client is one of the world's leading professional services companies, transforming client's business, operating and technology models for the digital era. Their unique industry-based, consultative approach helps clients envision, build and run more innovative and efficient businesses.
The Senior Privacy Counsel will be involved in the coordination and management of data privacy issues across the global operations, both driving an understanding of privacy requirements and liaising with global colleagues upon the application of compliance requirements of the wider organization. A key aspect of this role will be helping to drive, develop and deliver the organization's global privacy programme and its implications for both the organization internally and service delivery to clients. Although this role will be part of the privacy team, all team members work very closely with legal and ethics & compliance teams located across the globe.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic advice and direction on privacy issues across the organization
- Providing legal compliance support and advice to business and legal teams, including the application of European privacy legislation & regulations and, in particular, the GDPR
- Driving, developing and implementing global privacy activities, projects and strategies
- Management of key stakeholders to ensure their support of and alignment with the global privacy programme's objectives and requirements
- Monitoring developments in regulatory and legislative change and best practice and advising the wider organization on necessary organizational changes required
- Driving awareness and accountability throughout the organization toward greater business transparency and reinforcing trust from customers, business partners and consumers
- Proactively identifying, evaluating and managing risks in a way that enables the organisation to deliver sustainable business growth
- Reviewing and negotiating customer contracts and responding to customer privacy questionnaires and audits
- Drafting, developing, implementing and maintaining organization's privacy policies, procedures, notices and guidelines and those of individual clients
- Instructing and managing outside counsel on issues of local law and practice
- Designing, developing, co-ordinating and delivering comprehensive privacy training programmes, their impact in providing services to customers, the company internal support functions and its corporate development
- Supporting growth of new business opportunities by analysing privacy implications of new products and services and providing guidance on minimising privacy compliance risk
- Developing and conducting privacy impact and risk assessments
- Assisting with the management of the wider privacy team
- Regularly reviewing and evaluating compliance processes to guarantee best practice across all areas of the organisation ensuring appropriate monitoring and auditing processes are effectively implemented
- Managing data privacy incidents, requests and complaints
- Supporting M&A activity, both in terms of privacy due diligence and integration of newly acquired entities
The candidate will be a qualified lawyer with ideally at least 6 years post-qualification experience in private practice or as in-house counsel. Extensive data privacy knowledge and experience is essential both in terms of statutory/regulatory compliance, process and a commercial attitude; an interest in the technology industry is highly desirable. CIPP/CIPM certification (or equivalent) would be desirable but is not essential.
- Fluent in English, both verbally and in writing; other language skills are desirable
- Fluent in Dutch, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to balance legal risks with commercial needs
- Excellent communicator and able to communicate effectively with people at all levels of our organization and within our clients; both oral and in drafting
- Able to multitask with rapidly changing priorities and to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Flexible, strong and self-assured personality
- Experience to operate within an international environment with a diversity of cultures
- Possess analytical problem solving and project management skills
A dynamic and responsible job at one of the world's leading professional services company wit a good salary, secondary benefits and flexibility.