Job Title: Senior Privacy Counsel
Job Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
What makes Cognizant a unique place to work? The combination of rapid growth and an international and innovative environment! This is creating a lot of opportunities for people like YOU — people with an entrepreneurial spirit who want to make a difference in this world.
Cognizant seeks to recruit a Senior Privacy Counsel, as part of its global privacy team to support the continued growth of Cognizant’s global operations. The candidate will work closely with client sales and delivery teams and also with the Corporate Security team, Internal Audit, Human Resources and the Privacy Operations team. This role will involve daily exposure to Cognizant’s clients and senior management.
Senior Privacy Counsel Qualifications:
The candidate will be a qualified lawyer with ideally at least 6 years post-qualification experience in private practice or as in-house counsel, although candidates at all levels of experience with demonstrable ability to fill the role will of course be considered. Extensive data privacy knowledge and experience is essential both in terms of statutory/regulatory compliance, process and a commercial attitude; an interest in the technology industry is highly desirable. CIPP/CIPM certification (or equivalent) would be desirable but is not essential.
Senior Privacy Counsel Responsibilities:
The Senior Privacy Counsel will be involved in the coordination and management of data privacy issues across Cognizant’s global operations, both driving an understanding of privacy requirements and liaising with global colleagues upon the application of compliance requirements of the wider organization. A key aspect of this role will be helping to drive, develop and deliver Cognizant’s global privacy programme and its implications for both Cognizant internally and service delivery to clients. Although this role will be part of the privacy team, all team members work very closely with Cognizant’s legal and ethics & compliance teams located across the globe.
Senior Privacy Counsel Day-to-day Responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic advice and direction on privacy issues across the organization
- Providing legal compliance support and advice to business and legal teams, including the application of European privacy legislation & regulations and, in particular, the GDPR
- Driving, developing and implementing global privacy activities, projects and strategies
- Management of key stakeholders to ensure their support of and alignment with the global privacy programme’s objectives and requirements
- Monitoring developments in regulatory and legislative change and best practice and advising the wider organization on necessary organizational changes required
- Driving awareness and accountability throughout the organization toward greater business transparency and reinforcing trust from customers, business partners and consumers
- Proactively identifying, evaluating and managing risks in a way that enables the organisation to deliver sustainable business growth
- Reviewing and negotiating customer contracts and responding to customer privacy questionnaires and audits
- Drafting, developing, implementing and maintaining Cognizant’s privacy policies, procedures, notices and guidelines and those of individual clients
- Instructing and managing outside counsel on issues of local law and practice
- Designing, developing, co-ordinating and delivering comprehensive privacy training programmes, their impact in providing services to customers, the company internal support functions and its corporate development
- Supporting growth of new business opportunities by analysing privacy implications of new products and services and providing guidance on minimising privacy compliance risk
- Developing and conducting privacy impact and risk assessments
- Assisting with the management of the wider privacy team
- Regularly reviewing and evaluating compliance processes to guarantee best practice across all areas of the organisation ensuring appropriate monitoring and auditing processes are effectively implemented
- Managing data privacy incidents, requests and complaints
- Supporting M&A activity, both in terms of privacy due diligence and integration of newly acquired entities
Senior Privacy Counsel Skills that are necessary to fulfill the job successfully:
- Fluent in English, both verbally and in writing; other language skills are desirable
- Speaking Fluent Dutch is highly desirable
- Ability to balance legal risks with commercial needs
- Excellent communicator and able to communicate effectively with people at all levels of our organisation and within our clients; both oral and in drafting
- Able to multitask with rapidly changing priorities and to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Flexible, strong and self-assured personality
- Experience to operate within an international environment with a diversity of cultures
- Possess analytical problem solving and project management skills
If you’re interested in this Senior Privacy Counsel role, don’t hesitate and APPLY NOW!
Cognizant is one of the world’s leading professional services companies, transforming clients’ business, operating and technology models for the digital era. Our unique industry-based, consultative approach helps clients envision, build and run more innovative and efficient businesses. Headquartered in the U.S., Cognizant, a member of the NASDAQ-100, is ranked 205 on the Fortune 500 and is consistently listed among the most admired companies in the world.