The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in The Hague is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, cultural and business interests overseas. We are looking for a Security Officer based in The Hague, to ensure a safe and secure environment for staff and visitors to the Embassy in The Hague (and the British Consulate General in Amsterdam on an ad-hoc basis when required).
You will be the welcoming face of the embassy, the first person visitors see when they arrive and the first point of contact in response to emergency situations. Excellent customer service, a friendly and professional manner and strong interpersonal skills are important for this role. Being proactive and secure-aware are, as well, key factors to this role.
The British Embassy is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We support flexible working opportunities and your Wellbeing.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Welcome visitors, including international leaders and VIPs, the public and staff in a courteous and efficient manner;
- Supervise access to the building (British Embassy and British Consulate);
- Liaise with the local police, municipality and security staff in other Missions;
- Supervise access to the Ambassador’s Residence during official events;
- Supervise security and other work in and around the buildings and staff accommodation;
- Monitor the CCTV system;
- Supervise all incoming mail and deliveries;
- Carry out official driving duties as required;
- Perform other duties at the discretion of the Security Manager and Post Security Officer.
The job description is subject to changes and may evolve over time and in response to changing circumstances. The role exists as part of a team and all staff are expected to be flexible in supporting colleagues, particularly at busy times.
Essentialqualifications, skills andexperience
- Proficient in English (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level according to the CEFR framework*);
- A minimum of one year of relevant work experience in a security related role;
- Clean full driving licence (B category) and being comfortable with driving duties;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly with others;
- Ability to understand customers’ needs;
- Advanced skills with MS Word and Outlook.
Desirablequalifications, skills andexperience
- Independent user in spoken Dutch (minimum of B1 level according to the CEFR framework*);
- Relevant working experience in a customer facing role;
- Professional driving skills;
- Experience working under pressure, or in short term crisis scenarios.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service
extended until 19/07/2020
Type of Position
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Working hours per week
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Starting monthly salary (EUR)
1 September 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The successful candidate will initially be offered a 12 months contract at S1 level. The base salary for this position is € 2,522.65 gross per month, based on a working week of 36 hours. In addition, an 8% annual holiday bonus and a monthly travel allowance are payable. The Embassy currently applies a performance based bonus pay model for local staff.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in The Netherlands.
The successful candidate will undergo a professional background check; Any job offer is also provisional to a successful security clearance check.
The Embassy encourages a culture of continuous learning. All employees have access to the Civil Service Learning platform which gives access to training to improve job specific skills. Employees are entitled to a minimum number of annual training days.
The British Embassy promotes and demonstrates the key values of Professionalism, Respect and Honesty.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in the Netherlands and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.