Be part of the team delivering the world's most popular cloud operating system: Ubuntu! We are looking for an experienced software engineer or devops engineer to join our highly dynamic, fully distributed team, tasked with ensuring the Ubuntu cloud experience continues to be the best one out there. As a part of our team, you will combine software development skills with software and infrastructure delivery experience,.
You will work closely with Amazon, Microsoft, Google and other world-class cloud partners to make Ubuntu the best platform there is in the clouds. Your time will be split between build system development (using Python, jenkins and shell), implementation of cloud-related features within Ubuntu Server itself, operation of our continuous delivery pipelines, and direct partner engagement. You'll be responsible for a wide variety of projects and assignments which contribute to the stability and functionality that our cloud users have come to expect. You will strive to automate the delivery of existing and new Ubuntu image products applied to all modern workloads from web servers to GPU-aided AI for servers, VM's and containers.
- Build automated, highly reliable image delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and remain highly motivated, productive, and organized
- Participate in strong engineering process through code and architectural review
- Design, build and integrate new features and enhancements into Ubuntu that will support users of Ubuntu in public clouds
- Engage in bug-fixing work across a wide variety of components of the Ubuntu platform, helping to ensure that we produce regular high-quality releases and updates on time
- Take personal ownership of problems and drive them to solutions
- Write high-quality code to create new features and fix bugs
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Degree level education, preferably in a technology field
- Python programming experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to convey technical concepts to technical and non-technical people, and actively engage in technical discussions
- Practical experience with at least 1 of Azure, Google or AWS IAAS and their product offerings
We are looking for applicants who have experience in some of the following:
- Experience with containers (docker, kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience with DevOps automation, tools, and methodologies
- Involvement in open source projects
- Knowledge about common software design patterns
- Experience in developing against APIs and using SDKs
- Experience in Linux systems administration or as a development platform
- Experience writing or maintaining python packages
- Experience designing, writing and maintaining cloud-based applications leveraging its service offering (e.g. EC2+S3+dynamoDB)
This position is for a remote employee - work from your home or a local office. However, some travel to international destinations is expected for 1 week at a time approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations in recent years have included Cape Town, Budapest, Seattle, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working options and schedules
- Work remotely with a talented globally distributed team
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world's computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.