For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Principal Technician for our Discovery business located in Leiden, Netherlands.
The purpose of the Principal Technician role is to develop and conduct biological assays, in accordance with project objectives, in project teams. In particular (primary) human cell–based or stem cell assays in medium and high throughput, across therapeutic areas. The job will require an awareness of Health and Safety considerations associated with conducting biological assays. This role is also a learning and development opportunity regarding the drug discovery process. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop biological (cell based) assays; experimental design with the support of project leader.
- Assess effects of test compounds and analyse the associated data.
- Establish an understanding of the relevance of the data being generated on the project.
- Present own work confidently, internally, with clear rationale and produce slides on own work.
- Write up lab book to department and patent-acceptable standard.
- Highlight interesting biology papers for the project team.
- Use appropriate scientific literature to plan assays.
- Maintain a strong awareness of the relevant scientific literature and contemporary laboratory practices.
- Attend appropriate training sessions as identified with the support of line manager.
- To operate in a safe manner at all times and to comply with CRL site-based guidelines.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Principal Technician position.
- Recent MSc in a relevant discipline; capabilities to develop as scientist
- Up to 1 year of working experience
- Proficient in English
- Expertise in utilising primary (human) cell based assays
- Experience in molecular biology techniques