What's next? Discover VDL ETG
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Working as a Lead Mechanical Engineer
As a Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will help your colleagues to deliver outstanding performance thanks to your healthy dose of technical leadership. As a team, you will work to develop high-tech products: from the design to the final product. Because at VDL ETG T&D, you’ll be part of the complete product life cycle of high-precision, vacuum and handling equipment. Ultimately, you will hold in your hands – as it were – the result of what was once just an idea. And because we believe that having ‘the right people in the right place’ leads to the best results, we will give you plenty of choice when it comes to projects.
Show us what you can do as a Lead Mechanical Engineer
Together with a team of around 5 engineers, you will design and realise high-tech systems or modules. Of course, the most important aspects are manufacturability, costs, reliability and technical performance. Your work will follow the PGP (Product Generation Process) development process. Following client specifications (CRS) and taking into consideration the feasibility and manufacturability of mechanical components, you develop the design until it is released for production in our factories. You describe the system designs and specifications, generate concepts and define the high-tech modules, and guide the design process up to and including the technical validation of the prototype. All this demands well-considered decisions, validated against system requirements.
In this challenging role, you're also responsible for:
- Monitoring projects and ensuring they remain within the agreed specifications.
- Choosing the best solutions for your projects, based on what is technically feasible.
- Contributing to system road maps.
- Determining priorities within the project team, and reporting regularly to the project manager.
- Contributing to the ongoing development of your group's mechanical competences.
- Coaching your fellow engineers by sharing your knowledge and experience.
Conceptualising, developing and realising complex high-tech systems can't be done without a healthy dose of technical leadership. You direct technical project teams, and your helicopter view means you don't miss much. Because you communicate clearly and effectively at all levels and with all disciplines, you can challenge your colleagues to generate even better ideas. In addition, you have:
- A bachelor's or master's degree in mechanical engineering, preferably with a focus on precision mechanics.
- At least 7 years' experience working as a mechanical engineer.
- An excellent command of English.
- Experience with coaching junior and mid-level mechanical engineers.
- Experience with DfX and planning mechanical development throughout the entire V model.
- Experience with 3D design tools, preferably Siemens NX combined with Teamcenter.
A challenging job, a high degree of responsibility and plenty of opportunities for personal development. Great promises that we like to keep. In addition, you'll receive:
- A competitive salary.
- A good pension scheme.
- 27 days of paid holiday and 13 ADV (working time reduction scheme) days.
- Profit sharing.
- An annual VDL party with all your VDL Groep colleagues.
- Opportunities for internal promotion.
- Employee discounts.
- Participation in sporting activities.
VDL ETG T&D, VDL Enabling Technologies Group Technology & Development in full, is part of the billion-Euro VDL Groep with more than 17,000 employees across the globe. At our locations in Eindhoven and Almelo, we develop, produce and assemble high-tech equipment for sectors including the semiconductor industry, and thin-film depositions for solar cells, medical equipment, science and industry. VDL ETG T&D is a dynamic and innovative organisation, where we greatly value employees who show initiative. We believe that the best ideas arise when people work on the projects they are most passionate about. This project-based development environment is unique, as it brings together the mechanical engineering, electronics, mechatronics and software disciplines, and because we combine development with realisation.
The department you'll join as a Lead Mechanical Engineer is characterised by an open atmosphere and approachable colleagues. Your future colleagues can best be described as kind, willing and helpful. Asking questions makes everyone smarter, which is why we do it so much here. And it doesn't matter whether you ask a direct colleague or the CEO, everyone's door is open. We're also the place to be for recreation and good food. For example, many of our engineers are part of the robot football team, and we have some fanatical table football players. And what about the delicious food from around the world brought in by your expat colleagues, or cake or tart each day? There's always something to celebrate here.
Are you the Lead Mechanical Engineer with a healthy dose of technical leadership we're looking for? Then please send us your CV and covering letter and tell us why you're the ideal candidate for this vacancy.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Ellen Op Heij at the Corporate Recruitment department, on 040 – 292 50 66.