The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles
Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy in The Hague is looking for a Business Development Officer to join its Department for International Trade (DIT) team on a one-year fixed-term contract to support the work of a new Europe enquiry hub.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) promotes British trade and investment around the world; helps to build an appetite for British goods and services globally; and works to encourage foreign investment into the UK. DIT also brings together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade & investment and to help businesses to succeed. DIT Netherlands works with both Dutch investors and British companies doing business in The Netherlands across the main business sectors of the economy. For more information about DIT please follow the link.
The new position will work closely with a pilot regional export enquiry hub and with DIT’s export support network in the UK to identify and assist high potential British exporters, including innovative SMEs and Mid-Sized Businesses (MSBs) access supply chains in The Netherlands. A core element of the role will be to deliver practical support to those companies, including information on market potential, in-market representation and potential clients.
In parallel, the jobholder will play a key role in the wider activities of the DIT Netherlands team through providing support to the team’s marketing activities and business development events. The job holder will work to communicate high value opportunities to business, in areas aligned to UK industrial strengths, applying innovative digital marketing initiatives to increase outreach.
- Support the DIT Europe export enquiry hub in delivering commercial services, guidance, information and support to high potential British exporters – including innovative small companies, entrepreneurs and MSBs.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across Europe to ensure a comprehensive and joined-up approach that maximises the returns for high potential exporters – using success in one European market as a springboard to success in another. Provide advice to UK companies on opportunities for new and increased export business in The Netherlands.
- Contribute to the realisation of the wider objectives of the DIT Netherlands team by supporting the team’s marketing activities and business development events.
- Maintain excellent databases and records to facilitate and encourage collaboration and to measure success.
Essentialqualifications, skills andexperience
- Fluent English language skills (written and spoken) are required;
- Good command of written and spoken Dutch;
- Proven IT skills, including capabilities in digital marketing, digital project management and MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel);
- Previous commercial experience;
- Good project management, including an eye for detail, to ensure that all aspects of service delivery are thought through carefully;
- Excellent communication skills to work well with commercial clients, external contacts and a wide and diverse Europe team.
Desirablequalifications, skills andexperience
- Educated to Bachelor degree level and/or previous experience in a business development or marketing role;
- Customer focus: a concern for quality and drive for continuous improvement in the service provided;
- Drive and enthusiasm combined with the ability to deliver, working as part of a team;
- Resourcefulness and ability to act on own initiative, with an ability to find creative solutions when the unexpected occurs;
- An understanding of the UK and Dutch business environments.
Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
24 March 2019
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Full-time, Temporary
Working hours per week
Duration of Post
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (EUR)
20 May 2019
Other benefits and conditions of employment
The successful candidate will initially be offered a 12 month fixed-term contract at A2level. The base salary for this position is € 3,020.71 gross per month, based on a working week of 36 hours. In addition, an 8% annual holiday bonus and a monthly travel allowance are payable. The Embassy currently applies a performance based bonus pay model for local staff.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in The Netherlands.
The successful candidate will undergo a professional background check; Any job offer is also provisional to a successful security clearance check.
The Embassy encourages a culture of continuous learning. All employees have access to the Civil Service Learning platform which gives access to training to improve job specific skills. Employees are entitled to a minimum number of annual training days.
Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in The Netherlands and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.