For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Principal Technician for our Discovery business located in Leiden, Netherlands.
The purpose of the Principal Technician role is to develop and conduct biological assays, in accordance with project objectives, in project teams. In particular (primary) human cell–based or stem cell assays in medium and high throughput, across therapeutic areas. The job will require an awareness of Health and Safety considerations associated with conducting biological assays. This role is also a learning and development opportunity regarding the drug discovery process. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop biological (cell based) assays; experimental design with the support of project leader.
- Assess effects of test compounds and analyse the associated data.
- Establish an understanding of the relevance of the data being generated on the project.
- Present own work confidently, internally, with clear rationale and produce slides on own work.
- Write up lab book to department and patent-acceptable standard.
- Highlight interesting biology papers for the project team.
- Use appropriate scientific literature to plan assays.
- Maintain a strong awareness of the relevant scientific literature and contemporary laboratory practices.
- Attend appropriate training sessions as identified with the support of line manager.
- To operate in a safe manner at all times and to comply with CRL site-based guidelines.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Principal Technician position.
- Recent MSc in a relevant discipline; capabilities to develop as scientist
- Up to 1 year of working experience
- Proficient in English
- Expertise in utilising primary (human) cell based assays
- Experience in molecular biology techniques
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 320 patents and 74 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.