Legal Counsel with primary responsibility for assisting the business units with operations and assisting Senior Counsel (Europe) on the roll out of global and regional legal initiatives (including GDPR compliance). Although working in a local and regional capacity, Legal Counsel will form part of the Group legal team and therefore have broader exposure to group-wide initiatives.
Our client is a leading agri-business commodity major and processor of agricultural products operating from seed to shelf, supplying food and industrial raw materials to over 16,200 customers worldwide. The company handles millions of tons of products yearly, with a global presence in more than 70 countries.
Primary adviser (in-house and with external counsel as appropriate) on European civil law matters
- Structuring, reviewing, drafting, vetting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts such as trade and related contracts (sale & purchase, supply, master agreements, procurement, warehousing and logistics), trade finance, loan/debt agreements
- Dispute management (pre-dispute discussions, communication and negotiation, litigation, arbitration)
- Advising on and managing shipping and insurance matters
- Managing intellectual property rights and working closely with Singapore based group legal on trademarks matters
- Assistance in select strategic investments and divestment's
- Managing and monitoring external counsel/legal spend
- Contributing to the Legal Department's initiatives aimed at larger organizational impact, such as policy roll out, planning and conducting training's for other stakeholders
- Managing and optimizing use of external counsel
- Close interaction with the European Senior Counsel and Global General Counsel, both based in UK and wider global legal team
- Close interaction with internal and external stakeholders (there will be a requirement for occasional travel within the Netherlands (sometimes on short notice), Europe and other global locations)
- Periodic interactions with management to understand specific businesses and provide regulatory/risk management advice
- Law degree (civil law) with between 7 to 10 years of exoerience
- Excellent written and spoken English and Dutch communication skills (essential)
- Additional qualification in German law, or working knowledge of German contract law highly desirable
- Professional competence in German language (in addition to English and Dutch) highly desirable
- A combination of law firm as well as in-house counsel experience at top-tier firms and large commodity trading companies with multiple jurisdictional exposure (highly desirable)
- Ability to provide advice to senior management on legal and regulatory issues
- Maturity to handle sensitive issues
- Excellent relationship management in a matrix environment
- Independently driven, high level of initiative and ability to work with diverse cultures and background is key
A job in a dynamic environment with a lot of responsibility and challenges.